TeX is both a program (which does the typesetting, tex-core) and format (a set of macros that the engine uses, plain-tex)
LaTeX is a generalised set of macros … to set up things like sections, title pages, bibliographies and so on
- TikZ - package in LaTeX for drawing nice diagrams.
Document classes (LaTex)
Here are some of the more common LaTeX document classes:
|For producing presentations and slides.
|Doesn’t support subtitle.
|KOMA-Script version of
report. Supports subtitle.
Getting started on Fedora
Document editor: LyX
LyX is a Linux GUI application which can you can use to write documents and then render to LaTeX or PDF:
dnf install lyx
Installing a style file
To install a TeX
.sty file, first see if it’s available in a package. For example, if I want the
cancel.sty file, I can see that it’s in the package
$ dnf provides "*/cancel.sty"
texlive-cancel-8:svn32508.2.2-25.fc30.noarch : Place lines through maths formulae
- Lyx layouts are located in
- When changing document settings/styles through the dialog boxes, “Save as Document Defaults” will save your preferences to the file
Getting started on macOS
Install MacTeX with Homebrew
brew cask install mactex
To use packages (from CTAN), use the TeX Live Utility in the Applications/TeX folder.
- First TeX Live Utility may need to update core packages
- Then to update a package, find it in the list, right-click and choose the appropriate option.
Syntax highlighting with minted
minteduses Pygments for syntax highlighting. Add
--shell-escapeas a command line argument to
pdflatexin TeXShop preferences
- Ensure Pygments is installed:
pip install pygments(Python must be installed first)
“LaTeX Error: File `cancel.sty’ not found.”
- On Fedora, find which package provides it - e.g. using
dnf provides "*/cancel.sty", then install the appropriate package -
- pandoc-latex-template - A pandoc LaTeX template to convert markdown files to PDF or LaTeX.